On FSTDT, we have our own saying that we took from futurama. When a fundie explains evolution or the big bang wrong, as not a single one of them has gotten it right, we say that or a variation thereof. For instance: the big bang does not work that way!
Evolution explains something observed in nature: species are not fixed. Through different environments in nature, species adapt over time into completely new types of animal. Or just die out, but the ones we care about are the ones that adapted.
Anyway, evolution seems to be a pretty simple concept, yes? Well, groups like Answers in Gensis have been fighting it since like the 1980s and still don’t have a firm grasp on it.
To avoid quote mining, here is the whole quote:
God has made an almost incomprehensibly complex creation for scientists to study. Though lots of questions remain, two things are clear. One, true science powerfully confirms the literal truth of Genesis chapters 1–11. Two, evolutionary stories are fatally flawed in explaining the cosmos, the rock layers of the earth with their fossils, and the origin and diversity of living things. Of course, that is no big surprise, since the Bible is the inerrant propositional revelation of the Creator.
Evolution explains the variation of life on Earth. Not the cosmos. Not the rock layers. Not the origin of life.*
So, you know, I think we have yet another creationist failure for our list. Nah, I’m sure of it. Welcome Dr. Terry Mortenson from Answers in Stupidity!
- Kirk Cameron (Lying for Jesus: Kirk Cameron Edition)
- Dr. Jason Lisle (Reading Answers in Genesis: Probably easier when high.)
- Lee Strobel (Lee Strobel: Ex-Atheist or just ignorant?)
- Ray Comfort (Banana: Proof of creationism., Ray Comfort has a blog, Ray Comfort: What the fuck, man?)
- Rhonda Storms (Fuck Rhonda Storms)
- Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (DO SOMETHING IN LOUISIANA! QUICK!, Now the Candle Burns at both Ends)
- Rush Limbaugh (Rush Limbaugh)
- Bill Donohue (It Gets Me!, It Gets Me! (Part II))
- Michael Edmondson (Beware the Believers, Beware the Believers: Expelled Viral Video)
- Dr. Terry Mortenson
*PZ Myers disagrees with this assertion; claiming that abiogenesis has a huge role in evolution. In all honesty, it does, but that isn’t the main tenant of evolution in respect tow hat these people claim.